"Judaism has never been solely a religion to me. It’s a people, a culture, and a religion, kind of like a state of being. It helps me locate myself in the world."
Join us every 2nd Friday of the month for Shabes Dinner, when we mark the week's end and relax, reflect, and be together. As a community, we continue to explore what spirituality means to us. Our Shabes ceremony is led by different hosts each month, who offer different themes and create their own unique additions to the ritual.
The evening will start at 6:30 pm with time to settle in and shmooze. A shabes ceremony will start at 7 pm followed by a potluck dinner at about 7:45 pm. Come for the ceremony or the potluck dinner or both. A sample ritual program booklet can be downloaded here.
The schedule for 2013-14 is:
- Friday, Oct 11, 2013 6:30 pm
- Friday, Nov 8, 2013 6:30 pm
- Friday, Dec 13, 2013 6:30 pm
- Friday, Jan 10, 2014 6:30 pm - Arthur Waskow on the need to take deep breaths & the interbreathing of all life
- Friday, Feb 14, 2014 6:30 pm - What Do You Love?
- Friday, Mar 14, 2014 6:30 pm - Songs and Stories of Pete Seeger and Nelson Mandela
- Friday, Apr 11, 2014 6:30 pm - Jewish Diversity
- Saturday, May 10 - Havdallah
All dinners are at the Boston Workmen's Circle building, 1762 Beacon St. Brookline.
Please bring a dish to share when you join us for Shabes. No time to cook? Many of us bring takeout! We’ll provide the wine, juice, and challah.
Each monthly shabes gathering is organized by two community members. If you are interested in organizing a future shabes ceremony at BWC or in your home, please contact Rosa Blumenfeld (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Marsha Lazar (email@example.com).