"Judaism has never been solely a religion to me. It’s a people, a culture, and a religion, kind of like a state of being. It helps me locate myself in the world."
Part-Time Job Opportunities
A part-time, four-month position
The Boston Workmen‘s Circle Center for Jewish Culture and Social Justice seeks an Interim Director to ensure a smooth transition while the organization conducts a search for a permanent Executive Director. Candidates must be available to start in the position no later than July 30, 2014. Will only consider candidates willing to sign an agreement not to pursue the permanent position.
- Set the tone for the Executive transition, striking the right balance between appreciating past accomplishments and undertaking an assessment that will help move the organization forward in this next chapter; work closely with Officers and the Board of Directors to actively manage and make the most of opportunities related to the transition
- Supervise a staff of four, making sure staff feels supported, that training needs for new staff are addressed, and that staff’s work continues to be aligned with strategic priorities
- Support and hold accountable Board leadership; work with Officers to set Board agendas and provide regular reports to the Board about transition and organizational activity; manage shifting power dynamics and challenges
- Maintain regular communication with the community, including key activists, donors, and internal and external stake holders, and create avenues for member participation in the transition process
- Provide program oversight, in particular ensuring a smooth opening of the Shule 2014-15 school year and successful High Holiday observances
- Provide strategic oversight and support to Fundraising Committee, helping to solidify this new committee and, in particular, making sure that the ED farewell is a successful celebration and fundraiser and implementing a successful annual appeal
- Provide oversight and support to the Finance Committee, helping to integrate new members and establish new systems/expectations with financial management professional
- Oversee Executive Director search, providing staff support as needed to the Transition Team
- No less than five to ten years of experience as a non-profit executive director required; interim director experience preferred
- Strong management and supervision skills with a track record of successful team building
- Strong development skills with a track record of successful fundraising
- Strong communicator with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to build relationships quickly and with adults of all ages, from 20-somethings to seniors.
How to apply: Send resume, cover letter and writing sample to email@example.com. No phone calls please. As with most interim hirings, the interview process will move quickly. Application deadline is June 27, 2014 and candidates must be readily available for interviews between June 30 and July 14.
Are you passionate about Jewish identity and social justice? The Jewish Cultural Sunday School of Boston Workmen’s Circle teaches Jewish history, culture, and progressive values to children in Grades K through 7. Seeking experienced teachers (or recent ed school grads) with knowledge of Jewish history and culture, and active, project-based learning. Classes meet approximately two Sunday mornings each month, September through May. Now filling openings for the 2014-15 school year. Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
Teens Acting for Social Change, the youth group of Boston Workmen's Circle, seeks a part-time leader. Responsibilities include teen recruitment, building the group dynamics, skills training, networking with local social justice organizations, and leading social justice activities with teens. Approximately two Sundays a month, plus attending actions as needed. Boston Workmen's Circle is a secular and progressive, multi-generational Jewish community and cultural center. Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.